Saturday, January 7, 2012

Grandmothers

Grandmothers are a special thing. We all have one. Some of us are lucky enough to have two or more than two. They love and care for us so unlike our parents. They spoil us and pamper us and would give us the world without blinking an eyelash. 

Since I found out I have have this chronic disease that's making me sick, I've thought a lot about my grandmothers. I loved them both in very different ways. They were as different as night and day. I never doubted that they both loved me though. 



This is my grandma. She was my mother's mom. She is on the right. Mom is on the left and I'm in the blanket. She was the one I saw the most. She was so strong. She never backed down from anyone. I'm quite certain that's where I get my mouth from because she could make a grown man cry without ever saying a curse word or raising her voice. She was impassioned. She was also one of the most generous women I've ever known. She didn't have a lot, but she would give it away if someone else needed it more than she did. She never had much (or any money), but she always somehow found a way to buy us Christmas presents or buy us treats at the grocery store. She could be so kind. But she could also be the meanest woman on the planet on a turn of a dime if you messed with her kids or grandchildren. There are a lot of stories we could post in there Bottom line, she also stood up for her beliefs in what was right and wrong. She didn't have a fancy education or live in a grand house, but what she had was hers and she shared it with everyone. She raised 12 kids and that was all she ever wanted to do. According to my mom, she always said she wanted to have 12 babies - and she did. 


This is my dad's mother. My Mema. Obviously, dad was adopted. Obviously, I never remember her looking like this because this is her service picture from when she was in WWII. Still, wasn't she pretty? Mema was poor growing up, but somehow went to school and became a nurse anesthetist. She was in the first group of nurses they sent to New Zealand in WWII. She saw a lot of things that I'm sure she wished she could forget. She also was a hospital administrator and worked as a civilian nurse for years. She had high expectations for everyone. She did so many things with military precision and expected that of everyone else. I didn't know her nearly as well as my grandma, but I never doubted that she loved us. She always called to remind us to vote. She was a firm believer in the democratic system and a staunch Republican. I don't think she ever full forgave us all for being Democrats. She used to send us Christmas cards with the Bush family on them (both W and his father). She also was so smart and witty. When I had a question about something that was going on with me or I was sick, I would always call her because I knew she would tell  me what I needed to do to feel better. She knew all the old-fashioned ways to make you feel better. Things that modern medicine seems to forget sometimes. 

Since I found out I'm sick, I've missed both my grandmothers immensely. I know my grandma would hold me and comfort me and let me know how much she loved me and would tell me everything would be okay. And my mema... she would be right there with me talking to the doctors, explaining things to me and helping me with any kind of medical question I had. She would be there making sure that things were done the way they were supposed to be done and demanding the best for me. They would both yell at who needed scolding if it was needed, but I wouldn't lack for anything. 

My grandmothers were two very different people, but they both shaped me into who I am today. I loved them both in very different ways, but I miss them more than anyone else that's ever been in my life. A friend of mine just lost his grandmother and it reminded me of mine. They held very special places in my life. 

My  mom is a grandmother now and I see that same bond I had with my grandmother forming with Achena and my mom. I'm glad to see it there. Achena will hopefully forever remember his grandma the way I remember mine. With fondness, love and warm memories. 

No comments: